New Poll

Dark Mofo's inverted crosses.
Bear
 Posted: Jun 23 2018, 05:40 PM

Diamond

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 79

Rep: 10 pts

Hobart Mayor Ron Christie cops flak for trying to douse Dark Mofo's flame.

user posted image
The 20 metre inverted crosses were the subject of complaints from the Christian Lobby. Supplied: Mona/Dark Mofo/Rémi Chauvin.

Tourism and business leaders have lashed out at Hobart's Lord Mayor for criticising Dark Mofo and suggesting the council withdraw its support for the winter festival.

Mayor Ron Christie has declared he wants to "put the brakes" on Dark Mofo because it has become too controversial and suggested council reconsider the financial support it provides.

Yesterday Ald Christie said he and his colleagues had been inundated with complaints about the festival, including the "unhealthy culture" it was generating.

"They say the mark of a good city is how well you look after your citizens, and I think the citizens have expressed their concerns about different aspects of Dark Mofo and which way it's going culturally," he said at the time.

Mr Christie said the recent performance of artist Mike Parr's three-day burial beneath a main street in the city centre was "not my cup of tea" and that "I'm not shocked anymore".

The head of the Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry Michael Bailey was unimpressed by the comments he said "leapt out of the 1950s".

"I think the Lord Mayor is very much out of step and out of touch with the community, and I suspect that there will be a significant backlash," Mr Bailey said.

'Christie needs to pull his head in'

Fellow aldermen Philip Cocker did not share the Lord Mayor's sentiments saying Mr Christie needed to "pull his head in".

"To have the Lord Mayor bagging it [Dark Mofo] out and making commentary that he's not authorised to make about its funding, etc, I think is very poor form,'' he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-22/dark-mofo-criticism-by-hobart-lord-mayor-condemned/9896362

MONA owner David Walsh has defended the use of inverted crosses installed on the Hobart waterfront as part of the Dark Mofo winter festival.

The four 20-metre-tall inverted crosses have prompted an outcry from some Christian groups who said they were "inviting the devil" and were offensive.

Mr Walsh said he could say "about 50 things" as to why they are upside down.

"Firstly, St Peter was crucified upside down. Why? Because he didn't want to be like Jesus," he said.

"So maybe all the churches that have up the right way crosses are blasphemous.

"Or alternatively, it's reasonable to contend that we are at the other side of the earth from Jerusalem, if you map them we are actually the same way up."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-08/walsh-defends-dark-mofo-inverted-crosses/9848584

Firstly, St Peter was crucified upside down. Why? Because he didn't want to be like Jesus," he said.

Not correct Mr. Walsh, St Peter was crucified upside down because he considered himself not to be worthy of the same death as Jesus. Mr. Walsh sounds like one of those who want to destroy Western culture.

"Or alternatively, it's reasonable to contend that we are at the other side of the earth from Jerusalem, if you map them we are actually the same way up."

Oh dear, any excuse to post controversial crap and call it 'art' - why Christianity why not another religion, say Islam - just imagine the outcry, safer to demonise Christians and white peoples, not many of them seem to care about their culture and religion anymore.

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz,

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | TAS | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll