Posted: Nov 11 2017, 09:07 AM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 141 pts

Citizenship doubt for three more MPs

Updated: 6:51 am, Saturday, 11 November 2017

user posted image

The Government has released legal advice insisting two Labor MPs and the Nick Xenophon Team's Rebekah Sharkie are in breach of the Constitution.

The eligibility of Justine Keay and Susan Lamb, as well as Independent MP Rebekah Sharkie came under fire this week over the timing of their renunciation.

Legal advice by former Solicitor General David Bennet suggests all three are in breach of the constitution - due to the timeline of their reuniciation.

Mr Bennet suggests Ms Lamb, Keay and Sharkie were all British citizens at the time of their nomination.

Despite having attempted to renounce citizenship, none received registration of their reuniciation before nominations closed - which, under the High Court's recent ruling, would mean they were invalidly elected.

Labor insists all of its MPs are in the clear.

Rebehka Sharkie is also confident she could withstand a high court hearing.

It comes amid new claims chief government whip Nola Marino may have acquired Italian citizenship through marriage.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2017/11/11/three-mps-in-citizenship-trouble--govt-advice.html?ref=BP_HERO_SKY_citizenship-saga-continues_101117

This may well be the tip of a very dangerous iceberg. Labor has consistently claimed its MPs were in the clear yet here we have doubt cast over a couple of their representatives.

These aren't the only ones under scrutiny as this article in The West reveals.

WA MPs Josh Wilson, Madeleine King and Sue Lines caught in citizenship crisis

Phoebe Wearne and Shane Wright
Friday, 10 November 2017 5:54AM

user posted image

WA MPs Josh Wilson, Madeleine King and Sue Lines caught in citizenship crisis

The PM has threatened to send four Labor MP's to the High Court over the citizenship crisis

Three WA MPs are under a dual citizenship cloud after they failed to provide proof that they had renounced their foreign citizenship in time to be eligible to sit in Parliament.

As Section 44 of the Constitution continues to wreak havoc on Federal politics, fresh questions have emerged over when Fremantle Labor MP Josh Wilson ceased to be a British citizen.

Labor MP for Brand, Madeleine King, whose father was born in England, is also facing questions over whether she renounced any foreign citizenship before nominating for election.

Doubts have been raised about ALP senator Sue Lines, who reportedly renounced the British citizenship she received through her father in 2013, but has refused to produce documentation.

While all three parliamentarians are overseas, they have responded to questions from The West Australian, stating that they are eligible to represent WA in Parliament.

Mr Wilson is understood to have completed the paperwork to renounce his British citizenship on May 12 — almost a month before nominations for last year’s Federal election closed on June 9 — but a spokesman declined to provide evidence that the British Home Office had registered his renunciation in time.

Ms King and Senator Lines did not respond to requests for proof.

Liberal Tangney MP Ben Morton has faced questions about whether he has British citizenship, but it is understood that even though his mother was born in England, changes to British citizenship laws in 1983 were not retrospective, and so prevent Mr Morton from being a dual national.

Senator Lines said Labor had the strictest processes to ensure that every candi-date complied with the Constitution.

“I am absolutely confident in my qualification to represent WA in Parliament,” she said.

Ms King said she was happy to confirm that she was qualified to be a member of Parliament. “I made a declaration to that effect when I nominated, as required by the (Australian Electoral Commission) nomination documentation,” Ms King said.

“If the Parliament introduces another regime regarding citizenship in addition to that which is already required to nominate to stand in an election, I will comply with those requirements at that time.”

A spokesman for Mr Wilson said the MP was only a citizen of Australia and would “happily comply” with a parliamentary declaration.

https://thewest.com.au/politics/federal-politics/wa-mps-josh-wilson-madeleine-king-and-sue-lines-caught-in-citizenship-crisis-ng-b88655922z

The Greens have enjoyed a field day attacking the Government over this issue with their leader Richard Luigi Di Natale threatening to bring down the Government before Christmas. Now that a number of Labor politicians are under scrutiny will Di Natale continue to act as a Labor puppet or will he start showing some balance in his words?

--------------------
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." — Dr. Seuss

"The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday." — Anonymous
PMEmail
^
Flin
 Posted: Nov 11 2017, 10:02 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

It would seem that we are rules by mostly aliens, eh?

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
scepo
 Posted: Nov 11 2017, 10:20 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

I can't decide if this is a case of opening a Pandoras Box or a can of worms. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Bill
 Posted: Nov 11 2017, 10:59 AM

Diamond

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 85

Rep: 8 pts

Watch the body language of Trumble and Curly.

Which one looks like he's soiling his Kimbies ? http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif

On the current polling, Trumble stands to lose government if he loses a couple of by-elections.

On the current polling Curly won't lose any by-elections.

The two Labor MPs that Trumble has named have both renounced foreign citizenship - just that the confirmation wasn't received prior to nomination. They should, quite rightly IMO, be referred to the High Court for a ruling.....but.....to quote Trumble on a previous matter, they are "innocent and the High Court will so hold". http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/lbill.gif

Poor old Trumble can't take a trick, and the SSM 'survey' results come out on Wednesday.

--------------------
It's a tough gig being the only duck in the shooting gallery
PM
^
charka
 Posted: Nov 11 2017, 01:18 PM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Betcha the ones who started this are not to happy
PMEmail
^
Jonno
 Posted: Nov 12 2017, 07:23 PM

Platinum

Member No.: 86

Rep: 21 pts

This situation has been created by bent-brained individuals.
What is the description of 'an Australian', a phrase of words which were put together by a group of men who called themselves Australians who were....supposedly.... born in Australia, from parents who may have been born in Australia, or the distinct possibility that they arrived in Australia on the First Fleet of ships, and if intelligent people, who are few and far between in today's society, undertook a lengthy research into the background of the original inhabitants of Australia, then no-one would have a clue as to the current political clap-trap relating to which individuals constitute being an Australian http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif'citizen'''' , with permission to be elected as a politician to make decisions as servants of ''The People" ... The Australian Constitution was constructed from everything in The British Constitution, by a group of old, selfish fart-arces who were not http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif'Australians''''.
Who is going to prove otherwise, be it known that The Australian Constitution Of The Commonwealth Of Australia is being ignored by current governments due to very part of every decision by Federal, State, Local governments, Law, Judiciary Aus Post, Centrelink and every department are PRIVATE CORPORATIONS with a. AUSTRALIAN BUSINESS NUMBER.
The Australian Constitution has been rendered IRRELEVENT in a government leal and other decisions ........... the politicians, representing Australia, there homeland in a genuine manner are being forced, by illegal means, to resign from the position for which they were elected, UNDER THE UMBRELLA OF PRIVATE CORPORATIONS.
I have a document which proclaims that I became an Australian Citizen, born in England with British parents.
I am disgusted that I had to lower my British Heritage status to agree to become an Australian ..... time for massive change, I refuse to be an Australian if I an supposed to swear to abide by a a huge packet of BULL-SHIT spread around by sub-humans with limited brain capacity with an inability to organise a piss-up in a brewery.
Some-one f***ked Australia and the genuine, honest citizens .... politicians who proport to be '''genuine Aussies'' with forefathers born a long way from Paul Keatings, 'Arse End Of The World'.... quite correct.

--------------------
Equality among humans is a myth, individuality is a fact of life and obliterates equality.
Alain Schulz

Natural laws can never be over-ruled by man-made laws, the law-makers become greater fools by trying.
William Larber
PMEmailMSN
^
lee
 Posted: Nov 12 2017, 07:58 PM

Rana Capillum

Member No.: 48

Rep: 17 pts

The two Labor MPs that Trumble has named have both renounced foreign citizenship - just that the confirmation wasn't received prior to nomination. They should, quite rightly IMO, be referred to the High Court for a ruling.....but.....to quote Trumble on a previous matter, they are "innocent and the High Court will so hold".

In the High Court we have cases referring.

"Where there were no such procedures or where the other country refused renunciation, proof of requesting renunciation was sufficient."

http://www.aph.gov.au/binaries/library/pubs/bp/1992/92bp29.pdf

Now that is refusal or inability to renounce, where proof must be provided to show an attempt.

And you have to have that refusal in hand to go to the High Court to claim "reasonable steps".

By corollary it would seem you have to wait for notification for you to nominate.

Otherwise how would you know that you have successfully renounced your citizenship?

This post has been edited by lee: Nov 12 2017, 08:16 PM

--------------------
Life is neither a race to the end, nor a slow ramble whose sole aim is longevity

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
PM
^
scepo
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 10:40 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

This so called issue started out as a farce and typically has now become a political point scoring shit fight.

It will never happen I suspect, but to me there should be no such thing as dual citizenship in this (or probably any other) country. It should be that if you wish to be an Australian citizen, you revoke any other citizenship and are an Australian citizen only.

If that doesn't suit the individual, then the individual is welcome to piss off somewhere else. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Flin
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 10:59 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Scepo said
"It should be that if you wish to be an Australian citizen, you revoke any other citizenship and are an Australian citizen only.

If that doesn't suit the individual, then the individual is welcome to piss off somewhere else. "
http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

I'd vote for that. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/wink.gif

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Phillip J.
 Posted: Nov 13 2017, 06:13 PM

Platinum

Member No.: 16

Rep: 32 pts

I totally agree with scepo (and Flin) on that. I say, get rid of this dual citizenship bullshit and just make it like it seemed to be, which is, if you're born in Australia, you are automatically Australian!
And the same for all countries. If a person wants change it, let them, but none of this dual crap! Look at the trouble it's caused! http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

This post has been edited by Phillip J.: Nov 13 2017, 06:15 PM

--------------------
Live as if the world were as it should be, to show how it could be.
If what we do doesn't matter, then the only thing that matters is what we do.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Other Political News | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll