Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Big Windfall for Coles and Woolworths
Charles
 Posted: Jul 4 2018, 01:44 PM

Dentus Chookus

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 144 pts

Coles and Woolworths to rake in $71m from sale of 15¢ reusable shopping bags

The West Australian
Wednesday, 4 July 2018 8:24AM

user posted image

Some describe the ban as a money-making move

Supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths appear set to rake in around $71 million in gross profit from the sale of their 15¢ heavy duty plastic carriers following the ban on single-use plastic bags.

Queensland University of Technology’s Professor Gary Mortimer has calculated the big retailers are also saving $170 million a year by not providing shoppers with free plastic bags.

Prof Mortimer says he has sourced an online provider of heavier bags at 9¢, rather than 15¢.

“But if you are buying in bulk, you would get a cheaper price,“ he told News Corp Australia on Wednesday.

The well-flagged ban on single-use plastic bags, which came into force on Sunday, caused anger among some shoppers at Woolworths, which stopped using them a week ahead of the ban.

The West Australian reported on Saturday that an abusive customer put his hands around the throat of a Woolworths employee in a case of plastic bag rage.

The shocking incident in Mandurah late last month was among dozens of abusive incidents involving retail staff.

Woolworths WA general manager Karl Weber said police had been contacted and the worker was being supported.

Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees’ Association assistant secretary Ben Harris said the union had been told a worker was assaulted by an irate customer after being told there were no single-use plastic bags.

“A male customer in the self-serve area swore loudly at a female worker,” Mr Harris said. “She provided him with some complimentary bags and apologised.

“He made a mistake by scanning an item twice, the worker came to help him remove it and he walked up behind her and put his hands around her throat.”

The supermarket later announced it would hand out free reusable bags until July 8 as its customers get used to its ban.

https://thewest.com.au/business/retail/coles-and-woolworths-to-rake-in-71m-from-sale-of-15-reusable-shopping-bags-ng-b88885826z

There have been a number of stories relating to customer anger over the banning of single-use plastic bags - including one man who loaded his laden shopping trolley into the back of his SUV.

The media has given people plenty of advance warning over the ban and it didn't take much to prepare for a minor inconvenience.

I do the grocery shopping for our household and have been using our own carry bags for a number of years. I must confess to using single-use plastic bags when shopping for the odd item outside our regular shopping day. Now I have a canvas bag in the car for that eventuality.

I can understand anger over the profits the big two will make from this change, but not the anger over the actual change.

It is to be hoped the profits are returned via lower prices - but I'm not holdiong my breath.

--------------------
“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

“All of life is peaks and valleys. Don’t let the peaks get too high and the valleys too low.” - John Wooden
PMEmail
^
Flin
 Posted: Jul 4 2018, 05:14 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Who originally said the mantra that Wollies has secretly adopted, "Never give a sucker an even break"?

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Pool
 Posted: Jul 5 2018, 08:06 AM

Amethyst

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 95

Rep: 1 pts

This reminds me of every article thats made about how unfair it is when a new speed camera is installed.
Like its the camera's fault that ppl r speeding.
No one will learn to bring their own bag unless they pay...... Maybe woollies and coles should be made to donate the money and not profit from a new law

Ireland was among the first countries to face up to this challenge. As a result of the 15 cent fee (raised to 22 cent in 2007), annual bag usage dropped from almost 350 to 14 per person by 2012, and plastic bags now account for only 0.14 per centof total litter compared to 5 per cent in 2002. Revenues flowed to a fund to support waste management, litter prevention and other environmental initiatives.

or maybe ppl should just get behind less waste. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/wink.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/wink.gif

This post has been edited by Pool: Jul 5 2018, 09:13 AM
PMEmail
^
Bear
 Posted: Jul 5 2018, 05:56 PM

Diamond

Member No.: 79

Rep: 10 pts

Coles and Woolworths to rake in $71m from sale of 15¢ reusable shopping bags.

This is just another rort as these bags are not being reused to the extent we are led to believe.

War On Waste: Plastic Bag Myths.

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz,

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
Pool
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 07:45 AM

Amethyst

Member No.: 95

Rep: 1 pts

Its only a rort if ppl keep buying the bags....
Ive been shopping a ALDI's for years and I don't think I've ever seen anyone buy one of their plastic bags... if someone forgets bags they will load up their arms and stumble to their car ,rather than spend 15c, Aldi also supply their empty boxes if someone forgets their bags.
When the habit of getting a one use bag is broken, very few will buy bags. (if observations at Aldi r correct)

Also this Is just projecting that wollies will make 70 million....

One of the big things that ppl didn't like about Aldi was the fact u have to supply your own bags.
Now that u have to do the same at coles and wollies, I can see lots of ppl now going to Aldi's as there is no extra inconvenience and its a lot cheaper.

So I can see wollies and coles loosing a lot of customers and money because of this new law. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/wink.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/wink.gif
PMEmail
^
Charles
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 09:51 AM

Dentus Chookus

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 144 pts

Very good points Pool.

People will soon find their own solutions to what is a minor problem. Past generations shopped without using plastic bags and there is no reason why the current generation can't.

The issue that saddens me is the anger displayed by some customers over a temporary inconvenience. That anger is directed at staff members who are often very young and have no control over the issue.

--------------------
“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

“All of life is peaks and valleys. Don’t let the peaks get too high and the valleys too low.” - John Wooden
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 10:44 AM

Silver

Member No.: 53

Rep: 11 pts

I refuse to shop at Coles and Woolies for various reasons, so I shop at IGA. Our local IGAs all have boxes available for their shoppers. I find boxes are better to pack things in and transport to the car.
PMEmail
^
Flin
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 03:03 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Put a couple of plastic laundry baskets in the boot of the car. Handy to carry your shopping into the shack. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
lee
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 03:29 PM

Rana Capillum

Member No.: 48

Rep: 17 pts

being 60Km fro the supermarket we take about half a dozen cooler type bags. They work summer or winter. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/tongue.gif

I just go to the car before the stuff goes through the checkout. A pain to carry them around the shopping centre,

This post has been edited by lee: Jul 6 2018, 03:30 PM

--------------------
Life is neither a race to the end, nor a slow ramble whose sole aim is longevity

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
PM
^
Bear
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 11:07 PM

Diamond

Member No.: 79

Rep: 10 pts

This may save you a few trips Lee - a once a year shopping spree. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz,

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll