Flin
 Posted: Nov 8 2017, 10:00 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Telstra to compensate 42,000 customers for slow NBN speeds
user posted image

Telstra has offered to compensate around 42,000 customers who experienced slow National Broadband Network (NBN) speeds.

The telco has admitted it may have engaged in misleading or deceptive conduct and made false or misleading representations, in breach of the Australian Consumer Law.

Over the last two years, Telstra mentioned in its NBN advertising it could provide download speeds of up to 100 megabytes per second (Mbps), and maximum upload speeds of 40 Mbps.

But the ACCC investigated this claim, and found that many customers were not receiving the high speeds they had paid for.

The corporate regulator said these maximum speeds "could not be achieved in real-world conditions", due to the limitations of customers' fibre to the note (FTTN) and fibre to the building (FTTB) internet connections.

"Our investigation revealed many of Telstra’s FTTN and FTTB customers could not receive the maximum speed of their plan," said ACCC chairman
"Even worse, many of these customers could not receive the maximum speed of a lower-speed plan."

Telstra has provided a court-enforceable to the ACCC regarding the remedies it will provide affected customers.

In addition to refunds, Telstra will allow them to change their internet plans, or leave their contracts without paying a fee.

The ACCC said Telstra came forward to notify it of these issues.

"We are pleased that Telstra proactively reported this serious problem to the ACCC and has cooperated in creating a remediation plan for affected customers," Mr Sims said.

"However, we are mindful this is not just a Telstra problem; it is an industry problem where consumers are often not getting the speeds they are paying for."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-08/telstra-to-compensate-42000-customers-for-slow-nbn-speeds/9129166

Telstra can't be all bad. By dealing with them over many years the result is that I can speak Filipino fluently. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif .

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Michael.W
 Posted: Nov 8 2017, 03:20 PM

Gold

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 58

Rep: 46 pts

Is that Feck Off !!!
PM
^
Flin
 Posted: Nov 8 2017, 03:47 PM

Supremo Poster

No Mick, I think that is a Kiwi greeting.

--------------------
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Bear
 Posted: Nov 8 2017, 05:34 PM

Silver

Member No.: 79

Rep: 7 pts

I am sure that there are a lot more than 42,000 customers who have experienced much slower than promised NBN speeds. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

The Kiwis certainly have a much better service than we do - I can hear them laughing over the dutch...
http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz,

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
Flin
 Posted: Nov 9 2017, 10:17 AM

Supremo Poster

Optus admits customers may have been overcharged for NBN speeds
user posted image

Optus is the latest telecommunications giant to offer compensation to customers who have not received National Broadband Network (NBN) speeds they were promised.

The admission by Optus that some customers might have been overcharged follows yesterday's move by Telstra to refund around 42,000 accounts where advertised speeds could never be achieved.

An Optus spokeswoman confirmed the company is "working with the ACCC" and has responded with the regulator's requests for detailed information and data.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-09/optus-latest-telco-to-compensate-customers-for-slow-nbn/9132778

Probably both Optus and Telstra have been defrauded by NBN.

--------------------
PMEmailWebsite
^
Jonno
 Posted: Nov 9 2017, 06:10 PM

Platinum

Member No.: 86

Rep: 21 pts

42,000 is only skimming the surface of disgruntled customers.
The NBN is owned by the Australian Government, Telstra were fined for misleading NBN customers only with their advertising.

All the companies selling the NBN, including Telstra are on a Level Playing Field, Telstra do not own the NBN although their advertising and assumptions by many of the general public still believe that Telstra 'OWNS' the infrastructure, while many believe that Optus share with Telstra or have their own NBN network.

I stopped using Telstra many years ago, I used iPrimus for ADSL but their excellent service dwindled when taken over by Vocus Communications, Sydney and they created a disaster with my request for NBN connection.

The only involvement that Telstra have with NBN is that ex-Telstra employees undertake much of the NBN connections, they are now sub-contractors and Telstra is only the BOOKING OFFICE for every NBN supplier because they worked on the telephony infrastructure in the past.
Vans with Telstra signage are subbie owned, similar to express couriers.

I signed up with TPG and speed is 63.5 Mbps with FTTN, copper TTP, quicker at off-peak times, and was advised that speed could be up to 100 Mbps, but depending on area = postcode. ( Customer Service people speak English.)

--------------------
Equality among humans is a myth, individuality is a fact of life and obliterates equality.
Alain Schulz

Natural laws can never be over-ruled by man-made laws, the law-makers become greater fools by trying.
William Larber
PMEmailMSN
^
scepo
 Posted: Nov 11 2017, 10:01 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

The only option I have is fixed wireless.

It is adequate for my needs.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll