New Poll

Deal Excludes Australia From US Tariffs
Charles
 Posted: Mar 10 2018, 12:14 PM

Dentus Chookus

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 143 pts

Donald Trump, Malcolm Turnbull hit on deal to exclude Australia from new US tariffs

By political reporter Jane Norman

user posted image

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has confirmed Australia will be exempt from US President Donald Trump's new steel and aluminium tariffs — but denied the two leaders are working towards a new "security agreement".

Mr Trump hinted at the exemption earlier today when he tweeted he had spoken to Mr Turnbull, who he said was "committed to having a very fair and reciprocal military and trade relationship".

"Working very quickly on a security agreement so we don't have to impose steel or aluminium tariffs on our ally, the great nation of Australia!" he tweeted.

Mr Turnbull replied, hailing the "great discussion on security and trade" and thanking Mr Trump for confirming new tariffs "won't have to be imposed" on Australia.

"I was very pleased the President was able to confirm he would not have to impose tariffs on Australian steel and aluminium," he said.

'Security agreement' a reference to legal paperwork, Turnbull says

But Mr Turnbull denied the two countries were working on a new "security" agreement, saying Mr Trump was referring to the legal paperwork and proclamation that will now follow to put the exemption in place.

"We have the closest possible military and security alliance with the United States and it gets closer all of the time," he said.

Australia buys about 60 per cent of its "warfighting assets" from the US, shares intelligence as part of the Five Eyes alliance, and allows thousands of US marines to rotate through Darwin each year.

ABC News understands there is some confusion about Mr Trump's choice of words and the two leaders did not discuss a new security agreement.

Mr Trump's tweet came a day after he imposed tariffs of 25 per cent on steel and 10 per cent on aluminium.

The tariffs are due to take effect within weeks.

Announcing the details in Washington yesterday, Mr Trump singled out Australia when he said he may exempt countries with which the US has good trade and military relationships.

"We will be making a decision as to who they are — we have a very close relationship with Australia," he said.

The exemption follows months of intense lobbying at the highest levels of the Trump administration from Mr Turnbull, his senior ministers, Australia's Ambassador Joe Hockey and even golfing legend Greg Norman, who is a friend of Mr Trump's.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-10/malcolm-turnbull-donald-trump-working-tariff-exemption-agreement/9534984

This is good news for both Turnbull and Australia. It also portrays Trump in a positive light.

--------------------
“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

“All of life is peaks and valleys. Don’t let the peaks get too high and the valleys too low.” - John Wooden
PMEmail
^
charka
 Posted: Mar 10 2018, 12:45 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Who would have thunk not greens or labor
PMEmail
^
Jonno
 Posted: Mar 10 2018, 07:25 PM

Platinum

Member No.: 86

Rep: 23 pts

About time some world leaders used the brains they have instead of past leaders whose brains were in their backsides and achieved nothing more than a continuous discharge of excrement.

--------------------
When you can't make then see the light make them feel the heat.
Henry Ford

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
Albert Einstein
PMEmailMSN
^
charka
 Posted: Mar 11 2018, 07:09 AM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Funny how failed pollies do not die just get there super and then get million dollar jobs juliar carr hocking all the rest
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Mar 11 2018, 11:20 AM

Silver

Member No.: 53

Rep: 10 pts

About the steel tarriffs, our boys expressly ask for Australian steel when getting parts made or for machinery repair. The Chinese steel let in here if not of a good enough quality to be used. I hope that we still have enough quality product here for local use, be it Australian or other quality product.
PMEmail
^
Phillip J.
 Posted: Mar 11 2018, 12:56 PM

Kryptonite

Member No.: 16

Rep: 33 pts

I really hope that I've misheard this, or misread this story, but I mistakenly thought that President Trump went back on his "exempt Australia" word, but it seems I'm wrong. That's good then.
And on a separate note, Joe Hockey is a lying, slimy, sleazy, unsympathetic bastard, and I'm sure that karma will catch up with him one day!

--------------------
Live as if the world were as it should be, to show how it could be.
If what we do doesn't matter, then the only thing that matters is what we do.
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll