Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Malcolm turnbull - farmers need to adapt
lee
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 03:24 PM

Rana Capillum

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 48

Rep: 17 pts

The federal government will lean on the states to help communities suffering from prolonged drought but Malcolm Turnbull says farmers will ultimately have to adapt to the consequences of climate change.

user posted image

With drought threatening much of the east coast grain crop as well as large swaths of Western Australia, Mr Turnbull said the rural sector needed to become more "resilient" to adapt to what was "clearly a drier, hotter and more variable climate".

"That's what we've got to plan for, resilience is the key," the Prime Minister said.

"The climate is changing. I know it becomes a political debate. But there's no doubt that our climate is getting warmer.

"I don't know many people in rural NSW that I talk to that don't think the climate is getting drier and rainfall is becoming more volatile."

Mr Turnbull said while income support and associated measures like counselling were important for short-term relief, ultimately "you've got to ensure we can do everything we can to ensure that farmers are resilient".

This could range from greater incentives for building feed and grain storage facilities to even running fewer stock.

"The reality that you face is that rainfall has always been variable in Australia, it appears to be getting more variable," he said.

He was speaking on the first day of a three-day listening tour of NSW and Queensland with his senior agricultural ministers including Nationals leader Michael McCormack and Agriculture Minister David Littleproud, whose Queensland seat of Maranoa is in its seventh year of drought.

https://www.afr.com/news/farming-needs-to-adapt-to-climate-change-pm-20180603-h10wyu

Australian rainfall 1900 to 2017

user posted image

This post has been edited by lee: Jun 5 2018, 09:23 PM

--------------------
Life is neither a race to the end, nor a slow ramble whose sole aim is longevity

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
PM
^
Alicia
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 04:00 PM

Silver

Member No.: 53

Rep: 11 pts

Well then Lee, that’s fixed. Those pesky farmers are too dumb to work out how to deal with a drought, Malcolm will have to tell them to build more grain storage ( why?). and to cut the stocking rates during drought, now there is a novel idea! Sheep stocking rates in WA are probably on the way down anyway after the live shipping fiasco and threats of total bans. Thank heavens we have Malcolm out there fighting for those on the land! http://s20.postimg.cc/d5uoxm0kd/smiley_000738470_11.png http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/Smiley_Tosser_allert.jpg If agriculture were left to the political class, we would all starve. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif There must be some farmers asking for handouts, or this is just warm, fuzzy drought advice from the farmer’s friend. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/laugh.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif
PMEmail
^
lee
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 04:07 PM

Rana Capillum

It's a pity about the live exports. Meanwhile our local cocky is over the moon at wool prices. He stayed in mixed farming.

This post has been edited by lee: Jun 5 2018, 04:07 PM

--------------------
Life is neither a race to the end, nor a slow ramble whose sole aim is longevity

PM
^
scepo
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 04:11 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 67 pts

My contempt for Turnbull and pollies in general seems to grow on a daily basis.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Alicia
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 04:54 PM

Silver

Member No.: 53

Rep: 11 pts

Lee, ours are still in sheep too, I hope the wool prices stay up, but we don’t want a repeat of the floor price debacle to mess it up again, fingers crossed. https://s20.postimg.cc/x68t0lwf1/1120275_KASPa_Hdl.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/lbill.gif
PMEmail
^
Phillip J.
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 04:58 PM

Kryptonite

Member No.: 16

Rep: 33 pts

I wonder why Mr. Turnbull won't REALLY help our farmers, etc. during the hard times? People say things like "They chose that life....take the good with the bad,etc..." But, based on that theory, why do we GIVE $340 million to the Phillipines, even though they just spent $400 million on Attack Helicopters? They chose "that life!" as well! Those figures tell me that these choppers only cost them $60 million, then!
There was another generous donation by our government recently (probably Julie Bishop!) of $160 million, again at the time of farmers battling to keep their noses above water, and it was said that "$160 million would buy a lot of hay!!" Not to mention (but I will!) that our generous, caring government literally gives this money away, and at the same time, "generously" allows OUR farmers bloody loans, and then they have to pay it back, how's that for caring? Meanwhile Filipino pilots are flitting around the skies in FREE Attack choppers, probably smiling at their amazing luck! 😡😡☹️👎

--------------------
Live as if the world were as it should be, to show how it could be.
If what we do doesn't matter, then the only thing that matters is what we do.
PMEmail
^
lee
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 05:02 PM

Rana Capillum

Yes Alicia. Apparently the "hardness" of the wool is now softer on the merinos. .

As long as they don't try to "game" the market again.

--------------------

PM
^
Charles
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 05:17 PM

Dentus Chookus

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 144 pts

QUOTE (lee @ Jun 5 2018, 04:07 PM)
It's a pity about the live exports. Meanwhile our local cocky is over the moon at wool prices. He stayed in mixed farming.

I find it ironic that a certain group make such a fuss over the live export of sheep when they are the same people who are prepared to accept refugees arriving by boat.

Apparently the lives of sheep are far more important than the human lives lost through people smugglers and their unseaworthy vessels.

--------------------
“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

“All of life is peaks and valleys. Don’t let the peaks get too high and the valleys too low.” - John Wooden
PMEmail
^
charka
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 05:53 PM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

How about diverting some of that aid or power prices fuel prices etc I despise poillies user posted image

This post has been edited by charka: Jun 5 2018, 09:59 PM
PMEmail
^
Michael.W
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 08:47 PM

Gold

Member No.: 58

Rep: 47 pts

Well, All I can say is that their logic is about to come cashing down around them. Politicians have forgotten the 3 levels that makes a country survive.

1. Primary producers

2 Trade and manufacturing

3 All the shiny white collar workers come last.

We now have the reverse situation.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll