Posted: May 29 2018, 05:55 PM

Dentus Chookus

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 143 pts

Esperance youth triumph at WA Young Achiever Awards

Jake Dietsch

user posted image

From left to right: Deputy shire president Natalie Bowman, shire president Victoria Brown, Diamond Club Online Achievement Award and People's Choice Award winner Jaimen Hudson, WAFarmers and Rural Bank Agriculture Award finalist Asher Goddard and WAFarmers and Rural Bank Agriculture Award winner Tom Curnow.

user posted image

Finalists from left to right: Tom Curnow, Jaimen Hudson and Asher Goddard.

user posted image

WAFarmers and Rural Bank Agriculture Award winner Tom Curnow (left).

user posted image

Diamond Club Online Achievement Award winner Jaimen Hudson carrying the Queen's baton in Albany.

user posted image

WAFarmers and Rural Bank Agriculture Award finalist Asher Goddard assisting students herding cattle.

Photos: Supplied.

Two Esperance locals notched three WA Young Achiever Awards with a third local achiever reaching the finals.

World-renowned aerial cinematographer Jaimen Hudson won both the Diamond Club Online Achievement Award and the People’s Choice Award.

Scaddan farmer and fire safety advocate Tom Curnow won the WAFarmers and Rural Bank Agriculture Award.

Cattle farmer, volunteer and educator Asher Goddard was also nominated for the Agriculture Award.

The winners were announced on Saturday, May 26 at the Pan Pacific in Perth.

Mr Hudson said it was ‘overwhelming’ and ‘surreal’ when he was announced as the winner.

“They went through the people who were nominated, who didn't make the finals, and you hear all the things they have done and you think ‘wow, I don’t even know if I’m worthy to be in the top three’,” he said.

“The first award of the night was the People’s Choice Award and I was lucky enough to win that.

“Then my [online] category was the last award of the night, so it was quite a nerve-racking wait in the build up.

“It was a bit surreal and everyone was so excited, my family and everyone was there.”

The People’s Choice Award was the only category open to public voting.

“That just goes to show the love that I get from Esperance and the community and everyone that follows me online,” Mr Hudson said.

“I can assure you there were no other towns that had three people in the final, so I don't know what they've got in the water down in Esperance but there is something good going on down here.”

Mr Curnow said winning the farming award was a surprise because the other two finalists were of high calibre.

“I felt privileged to have a win, it meant a lot to me,” he said.

“I didn't write a speech because I wasn't expecting to win but I thanked my family for their help in the two years since the fires.

“I tried to reiterate how much agriculture means to me and I wanted people to know that agriculture is the up and coming category in Australia and the world.”

Mr Curnow said he hoped to use his award to project his voice in advocating fire safety and promoting local brigades.

“It will also help me advance into the agriculture industry and put my voice out there for younger farmers,” he said.

Ms Goddard reached the finals due to her dedication as a young farmer, her work educating VET students and her commitment as a volunteer.

https://www.esperanceexpress.com.au/story/5432729/esperance-achievers-take-home-three-wins/?cs=5829#slide=2

Alicia asked if I might post this article on her behalf. It was a pleasure to do so, as it is always refreshing to read positive stories about young people.

Alicia can be rightly proud of her fellow Esperance citizens.

Thanks for directing me to the story Alicia.

--------------------
“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

“All of life is peaks and valleys. Don’t let the peaks get too high and the valleys too low.” - John Wooden
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: May 29 2018, 06:31 PM

Silver

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 53

Rep: 10 pts

Three wonderful young people. The Esperance community is very proud of these young achievers. We have a terriffic community here and our young people keep it a lively place to live, they are the “drivers” of many new initiatives in the town to help keep our youth engaged and contributing. Hats off to them. https://s20.postimg.cc/x68t0lwf1/1120275_KASPa_Hdl.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/lbill.gif
PMEmail
^
charka
 Posted: May 30 2018, 07:49 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Congratulations
PMEmail
^
scepo
 Posted: May 30 2018, 09:10 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 66 pts

Well done all of them.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Flin
 Posted: May 30 2018, 11:01 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Good to see young people achieving something other than just their texting speed.

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | WA | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll