Dentus Chookus

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 144 pts

Schools ‘too focused’ on getting students to universities

Daniel Mercer
Monday, 15 January 2018 4:30AM

user posted image

One of WA’s biggest builders has complained about teachers “cooking the brains” of some high school students and leaving them ill-equipped for the working world.

Gerry Hanssen, the founder and managing director of construction firm Hanssen, said the education system was too focused on sending children to university when many students “want to work with their hands”.

Mr Hanssen recently gave testimony to a parliamentary inquiry into WorkSafe in which he said he preferred to take 15-year-olds as apprentices because they were more “receptive” to learning.

By contrast, Mr Hanssen said that by the time students in the school system reached 17 they were “already cooked in their brain by the teachers”.

Mr Hanssen stood by those comments yesterday, adding that changes which made it harder for high school students to graduate at the end of Year 10 were “criminal”.

“I could probably give you a hundred mothers whose kids I put on and they’re all delighted that’s what I did for them,” he said.

“Because they (teachers) are university educated they deliver very theoretical lines, so you’ve got a conflict between very theoretical teachers and kids who want to learn with their hands — they’re not interested in university. That’s where the dilemma lies.”

According to Mr Hanssen, his company has employed more than 1000 apprentices during his time in the industry and it was his experience that many children benefited from leaving school early.

Education Minister Sue Ellery would not be drawn on Mr Hanssen’s criticism, instead saying it was not the job of the education system to “train” students for work roles. “The decision about whether or not a student remains at school until the end of Year 12 is a decision of the parent or carer — and increasing numbers are choosing to stay,” Ms Ellery said.

“Schools do not provide individualised training for specific careers as this is the role of the training sector in partnership with industry.

“Vocational education and training delivered to secondary school students is mainly provided to a certificate II level, which is entry level for industry and involves limited industry-specific training.”

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/schools-too-focused-on-getting-students-to-universities-ng-b88713959z

Well said Mr Hanssen!

This is an issue that I have mentioned on a number of occasions. There was a time when non-academic children would leave school at 14, get an apprenticeship and learn their trade. There was no stigma attached to this and these children became young adults who contributed to society.

Nowadays, sadly, too often employers require a piece of paper to show youngsters are "qualified". The education system is ill-equipped to cater for all, and some children who struggle through secondary education rebel against a system that is failing them.

In an attempt to keep children at school beyond Year 10 there has, in my opinion, been a "dumbing down" of courses. This achieves little or nothing and simply adds to the perception that there is a downward slide in standards.

--------------------
“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

“All of life is peaks and valleys. Don’t let the peaks get too high and the valleys too low.” - John Wooden
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Jan 15 2018, 10:01 AM

Silver

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 53

Rep: 11 pts

I agree with you Charles. .
PMEmail
^
scepo
 Posted: Jan 16 2018, 06:35 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 66 pts

Sadly common sense seems to be becoming a thing of the past.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Bear
 Posted: Jan 18 2018, 12:18 PM

Diamond

Member No.: 79

Rep: 10 pts

I recently heard that employers were disappointed with Uni degrees in business management - candidates were below expectations in the 'real' world.

About 30% of Uni graduates can not find a job.

I also agree with what Charles has said.

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz,

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
Alicia
 Posted: Jan 18 2018, 01:09 PM

Silver

Member No.: 53

Rep: 11 pts

A thought, bring back some training/learning on the job like Nurse training used to be. Students can still go to University and study, heaven knows, they don’t spend much time at lectures.
PMEmail
^
Michael.W
 Posted: Jan 18 2018, 01:43 PM

Gold

Member No.: 58

Rep: 47 pts

I've seen both sides of the coin here in recent years.

Apprenticeship employers only taking on apprentices if they have a car licence which usually means 17 or 18 years of age which has also killed young people off being socially responsible in the workforce, hence by then there priorities have changed and not always for the better plus it a dangerous time for social benefits engineering.

I see many business unable to employ trade people and end with unskilled & unqualified people instead, its a recipe for failure. But they take people on because they are able & willing workers, its the risk they take.

On the other hand we have far too many going to uni doing there courses only to find out that there little to no work for what they were hoping to do, which usually results with a another course and building up debt or ending up on the social benefit system.

The Government have played there roles in killing of trade skills so have the unions. Pushing industries to off shore countries isn't a benefit to Australia. It might be to the consumer & retail industry for cheaper goods, but its not cheap if people can't afford it because of low employment.

Taxation is far to high in this country and there is not benefit in working hard to get in front, only to be scold by the taxation system bye greedy fat cats with there noses in trough on tax payer earnings. The country has high debt levels now and our young work force will suffer in due course.

However in saying that I see many young kids age 14, 15 & 16 entering into part time jobs and they usually end up being better responsible people for it.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Education | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll