New Poll

4WD & SUV Road Hogs
Charles
 Posted: Jan 7 2018, 02:50 PM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 142 pts

Why are 4WD and SUV drivers so arrogant?

Neale Prior
Friday, 5 January 2018 7:43AM

user posted image

There must be something about the apparent safety, visibility and grunt of a big sports utility vehicle that makes some drivers no longer give a flying fig about those around them.

I’ve done more than my usual share of driving in recent weeks and found it disturbing just how many bad drivers are out there in big, white four-wheel-drives and SUVs.

My recent holidays have been littered with experiences of men and women in these vehicles hogging the road and terrorising other motorists on highways, freeways and urban streets.

All the sedans the Prior family drive would come off second-best in any collision with a Prado, HiLux, Ranger, Patrol or Pajero, which means tosser in parts of Latin America.

I realised there was a problem with white SUVs while driving south from Kalbarri to Perth on that dreadful bit of bush road flatteringly named Indian Ocean Drive.

Somewhere around Jurien, there was a 40-something woman entering the northbound lane from the dirt on the other side of the road.

She swerved into my south-bound lane as she gunned her Toyota monster on to the tarmac and took what seemed like seconds to realise she was on the wrong side of the road.

Thankfully, I could hit the skids hard because I had just shaken off a middle-aged chap who had been driving his Mitsubishi Pajero in a manner befitting the Latin American vernacular. And then we had the customary cretin in the white 4WD do the dangerous overtaking into our path.

But the confirmation of the Pajero-inducing qualities of white 4WDs comes thanks to a grey nomad driving a Nissan Patrol and towing a caravan.

He was happy to drive around 85km/h on those long stretches of Indian Ocean Drive where there are no overtaking lanes and few passing opportunities.

Our Honda led a stream of other cars, including SUVs, patiently trailing the Patrol at a respectful distance for 10km with cruise control set to 85km/h until we came to a big, uphill overtaking lane. As I went to overtake, the A-class throttler in the Patrol accelerated so he was hitting 100km/h by the time our Honda was leading the charge of overtaking vehicles.

Our Honda hybrid had the kick to complete the overtaking move but most of the cars behind me fell back.

The true “hero” was a bloke in a HiLux who overtook us at a speed I guess exceeded 130km/h and cut us off as the overtaking lane ended.

No prizes for guessing the colour of his ute.

https://thewest.com.au/opinion/why-are-4wd-and-suv-drivers-so-arrogant-ng-b88705881z

It's not just on the open highways that this problem exists. Some drivers (I won't mention gender) use their cars as giant shopping trolleys and feel they are bullet proof.

--------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be." - Socrates
PMEmail
^
lee
 Posted: Jan 7 2018, 05:22 PM

Rana Capillum

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 48

Rep: 17 pts

So it is vehicle colour and not age or gender related. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/tongue.gif

Edit: Disclosure - I drive a white four-wheel drive.

This post has been edited by lee: Jan 7 2018, 05:22 PM

--------------------
Life is neither a race to the end, nor a slow ramble whose sole aim is longevity

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
PM
^
Flin
 Posted: Jan 8 2018, 06:34 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Can you imagine how much more aggressive they would be if there were no mufflers on cars? http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
charka
 Posted: Jan 8 2018, 07:57 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

The advert i go where want keeps ses in business little rude user posted image

This post has been edited by charka: Jan 8 2018, 07:58 AM
PMEmail
^
Charles
 Posted: Jan 8 2018, 09:00 AM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 142 pts

QUOTE (lee @ Jan 7 2018, 05:22 PM)
So it is vehicle colour and not age or gender related. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/tongue.gif

Edit: Disclosure - I drive a white four-wheel drive.

Hi Lee

I noted that the writer uses "some drivers" but I agree his blanket statement about offenders driving white 4WDs or SUVs is wide of the mark.

--------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be." - Socrates
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | " Car News & Reviews" | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll