Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (4) 1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Is 'Aboriginal' an Offensive Word?
scepo
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 06:00 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 66 pts

I identify as a reasonably normal human being Bill. I should say male human being as I am not confused about my gender. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif

I see no point in taking offence. The more people abuse me, the dumber I know they are. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Charles
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 09:35 AM

Dentus Chookus

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 144 pts

Hi Bill,

As the questions I have posed to you in previous posts tend to be ignored, would you at least answer this one.

Would your friend object to being called an Aborigine?

The reason I ask is that Aboriginal was an adjective used to describe an Aborigine (noun). You indicate she wouldn't be offended by the use of Aboriginal as an adjective, citing "Aboriginal woman" as a more than acceptable descriptor. Can I draw the conclusion that "Female Aborigine" would be equally acceptable and, if so, why is it necessary to include gender?

Your final comment, "You're white and you're entitled". is the lowest form of sarcasm and contributes nothing to this debate.

--------------------
“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

“All of life is peaks and valleys. Don’t let the peaks get too high and the valleys too low.” - John Wooden
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 11:07 AM

Silver

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 53

Rep: 11 pts

In your opinion, was the bureaucrat in the WA Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages correct to decide that the word aboriginal was offensive and should be removed from records?
PMEmail
^
Bill
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 03:02 PM

Gold

Member No.: 85

Rep: 9 pts

QUOTE (Charles @ Jul 6 2018, 09:35 AM)
Hi Bill,

As the questions I have posed to you in previous posts tend to be ignored, would you at least answer this one.

Would your friend object to being called an Aborigine?

The reason I ask is that Aboriginal was an adjective used to describe an Aborigine (noun). You indicate she wouldn't be offended by the use of Aboriginal as an adjective, citing "Aboriginal woman" as a more than acceptable descriptor. Can I draw the conclusion that "Female Aborigine" would be equally acceptable and, if so, why is it necessary to include gender?

Your final comment, "You're white and you're entitled". is the lowest form of sarcasm and contributes nothing to this debate.

Hi Charles
To answer your first question. No, she wouldn't object to being called an Aborigine.

Her objection is to the use of the word Aboriginal as a NOUN as it brings back memories of the abuse associated with its use. Try to think 'stolen generation', living in camps on the outskirts of towns, and Cunnamulla, in the 1950s Charles.

It's accurate though Charles. As I pointed out earlier, what is it about this issue that gives YOU the right to decide what is offensive to an aboriginal person ?

--------------------
It's a tough gig being the only duck in the shooting gallery
PM
^
Flin
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 03:07 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

I used the word "Abbo" for most of my life and never knew it was offensive until Banjo Bob pointed it out http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Bill
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 03:20 PM

Gold

QUOTE (Alicia @ Jul 6 2018, 11:07 AM)
In your opinion, was the bureaucrat in the WA Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages correct to decide that the word aboriginal was offensive and should be removed from records?

Hi Alicia
I assume that your comment was addressed to me. I apologise if it was intended for someone else.

The bureaucrat was probably responding to something completely different, and as he pointed out, there were cases of some people of Indian descent who were incorrectly described as 'aboriginal'. It may very well be that the bureaucrat was not at all concerned at Aboriginal people being described as 'aboriginal, but that others may be - interesting proposition in itself.

From the article, I'm not even sure that Garry Smith, who was the subject of the original ABC program was offended by the description, just upset at its removal. Garry is heavily involved in Sovereign Union, and organization promoting 'First Nations' peoples rights around the world, so his interest is more likely historical than anything else.

I think that they have arrived at the right outcome though. It's a legal document of 'births, deaths' etc., and the ethnicity is irrelevant, but that information that was removed is made available to those applying for records as a historical document would be given access to the full document.

A win/win fro everybody IMO. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/lbill.gif

--------------------
PM
^
Bill
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 03:25 PM

Gold

QUOTE (Flin @ Jul 6 2018, 03:07 PM)
I used the word "Abbo" for most of my life and never knew it was offensive until Banjo Bob pointed it out   http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

It has a lot to do with the context of how it was used Flin, and was never intended as a term of endearment or acceptance It belongs in the 1950s.

Banjo was a smart man, except for his support for the Sea Eagles http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif . I miss our conversations. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/lbill.gif

--------------------
PM
^
Charles
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 03:49 PM

Dentus Chookus

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 144 pts

'Your final comment, "You're white and you're entitled". is the lowest form of sarcasm and contributes nothing to this debate.

It's accurate though Charles. As I pointed out earlier, what is it about this issue that gives YOU the right to decide what is offensive to an aboriginal person ?'

I don't claim the right to decide what is or isn't offensive to an Aboriginal person. That is your very inaccurate assumption.

I was simply trying to establish what is offensive and why. Your posts have answered that in part and for that I thank you.

As a bit of background information for you, I have had considerable contact with Aboriginal people - both growing up and as an adult.

Soon after arriving in Australia we moved into a suburb where a Pallottine mission was in close proximity. I have fond memories of playing basketball with and against the Aboriginal boys there.

Later, as a young man, I played local football. The first coach of the newly established team was a respected Aboriginal football who had played at a higher level. The team included many young men from the mission. I have since attended reunions with the Club and have always enjoyed the companionship of former teammates.

As a graduating teacher I was appointed to a country town in the South West. Sadly it was the only team in the competition without any Aboriginal players competing. I have a strong memory of a Club meeting at which players were asked if they objected to any of "the boys from the reserve" playing. When asked to raise a hand to allow such a move mine was just one of three hands raised. The other two belonged to other newcomers to the town.

Having taught in a number of schools with Aboriginal students I grew to understand much of their culture. It was through this knowledge I believe I was able to develop a good rapport with them.

Using "Aboriginal" as a noun being offensive is something of which I was unaware. I have never have had that expressed to me by any of my Nyoongar friends or students.

I have certainly heard of Politically Correct white "Progressives" deciding for others what is and isn't offensive - be it to Aboriginal people or other ethnic groups. That in itself I find offensive. To paraphrase your question, "What gives THEM the right to decide what is offensive to an aboriginal person ... or any other group of people?"

--------------------
“If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

“All of life is peaks and valleys. Don’t let the peaks get too high and the valleys too low.” - John Wooden
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 04:41 PM

Silver

Member No.: 53

Rep: 11 pts

Hi Bill, my question was to all who were commenting on the original article. Thank you for answering the question.
PMEmail
^
Bear
 Posted: Jul 6 2018, 07:23 PM

Diamond

Member No.: 79

Rep: 10 pts

"It's accurate though Charles. As I pointed out earlier, what is it about this issue that gives YOU the right to decide what is offensive to an aboriginal person ?"

Have you lost your mind Bill, or are you just 'doing your job' as 'devil's advocate'? - you certainly seem to enjoy provoking members with your derogatory posts, what do you get out of it?? http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif

It is not automatically 'accurate' just because of what YOU have perceived as being 'accurate' in your twisted mind - what gives YOU the right to decide what is offensive to others - this is typical behaviour that we have come to expect from the extremists on the left, sadly many of your posts now days are not worthy of a response, but out of decency members put up with you, this shows their resilience in the face of the devil's advocate.

Your post is just as offensive, time to take a look at yourself Bill - but then, I doubt that you will stop being offensive you enjoy it too much.
http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bear: Jul 6 2018, 07:29 PM

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz,

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | WA | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Pages: (4) 1 2 3 4 
Add Reply
New Poll