Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Dr Gary Fettke and Diabetes.
Bear
 Posted: Feb 22 2018, 08:23 PM

Diamond

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 79

Rep: 8 pts

Gary Fettke not renewing LGH contract.

Dr Gary Fettke believes his position at the Launceston General Hospital has become untenable, and says that at this point in time, he will not be renewing his contract to continue working at the LGH. Dr Fettke’s current contract will expire in a few weeks, and he says that the Tasmanian Health System has been unwilling to negotiate with him. According to to Dr Fettke, this includes an unwillingness to take responsibility for bullying and harassment in the workplace, particularly in relation to Dr Fettke’s diet advice to his patients. Dr Fettke joins Brian Carlton in the studio to discuss his future at the LGH.

Source: https://www.tasmaniatalks.com.au/the-show/25754-say-no-to-workplace-bullying-dr-gary-fettke-not-renewing-lgh-contract

The bullying issue raised here is linked to a supposed bullying and harassment complaint.

I feel that the diet and diabetes aspect is more important, although both are connected, what do you think? Follow the link and have a listen to the interview.

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz,

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
Flin
 Posted: Feb 23 2018, 07:56 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Not really enough information to form an opinion. Like contentious issues there are three sides; "What he says. what they say and the truth."

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Bear
 Posted: Feb 23 2018, 08:10 PM

Diamond

The radio interview probably doesn't convey enough information.

Diet and diabetes have become a very serious issue, to save lives, Dr Gary Fettke has had to remove the feet of patients.

This story gives a better insight.

'Change your diet or you'll die': Low-carb advice lands doctor in hot water.
7.30 By Natalie Whiting
30 Nov 2016

A Tasmanian surgeon who was told by the nation's medical watchdog to stop giving specific nutritional advice is one of several cases that prompted a Senate committee to call for an inquiry into the agency.

Gary Fettke is an orthopaedic surgeon and an advocate of a low carbohydrate diet.

He said he became passionate about nutrition after amputating limbs of diabetic patients whose diets were a big part of the problem.

"What I've been advocating for some years is cutting sugar down, particularly all the refined sugars in the diet," he said.

"Over time that's evolved, and it's evolved to what I call low carb, healthy fat.

"It's just eating lots of vegetables, pasture-fed meat and the right amount of oil in the form of things like nuts, avocado, cheese, olive oil and fish."

One of his patients, Julian Robinson, who had to have his leg amputated because of complications from diabetes, said the diet changed his life for the better.

"He virtually said to me, 'You need to change your diet and your lifestyle or you'll die,'" Mr Robinson said.

VIDEO: Dr Gary Fettke is passionate about nutrition after amputating limbs of diabetic patients. (7.30)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-30/low-carb-advice-lands-doctor-in-hot-water/8078748

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
lee
 Posted: Feb 23 2018, 08:22 PM

Rana Capillum

Member No.: 48

Rep: 17 pts

"He virtually said to me, 'You need to change your diet and your lifestyle or you'll die,'" Mr Robinson said.

If I do change my diet I will also die. I have no sense that I am in any way immortal.

--------------------
Life is neither a race to the end, nor a slow ramble whose sole aim is longevity

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
PM
^
Bear
 Posted: Feb 23 2018, 09:02 PM

Diamond

One of his patients, Julian Robinson, who had to have his leg amputated because of complications from diabetes, said the diet changed his life for the better.

Sadly, some lessons must be learnt the hard way.

--------------------

PM
^
Flin
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 06:24 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

My diet consists of consuming only fermented sugars works well for me. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/wink.gif

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
scepo
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 06:26 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

Diabetes is a growing problem and going by people I know who have it, diet plays a very important role in controlling it.

I do agree with lee also. One thing for sure is that we are all going to die of one cause or another.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
charka
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 08:50 AM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Not me i feel somebody will do it to me
PMEmail
^
Bear
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 08:53 AM

Diamond

I don't recall seeing so many obese people as I see now days Scepo, why die early from something we can prevent? A high intake of sugar is linked to many forms of cancer.

One doctor told me that many children think it is normal to be overweight, their grandparents, parents, and themselves are all overweight due to a poor diet. Obese people actually suffer from malnourishment.

Nearly everything we eat is loaded with sugar, so much for the regulators and so called dietitians.

Obesity boom 'fuelling rise in malnutrition'

By Tulip Mazumdar Global health reporter
14 June 2016

user posted image

Malnutrition is sweeping the world, fuelled by obesity as well as starvation, new research has suggested.

The 2016 Global Nutrition Report said 44% of countries were now experiencing "very serious levels" of both under-nutrition and obesity.

It means one in three people suffers from malnutrition in some form, according to the study of 129 countries.

Being malnourished is "the new normal", the report's authors said.

Malnutrition has traditionally been associated with children who are starving, have stunted growth and are prone to infection.

These are still major problems, but progress has been made in this area.

The report's authors instead highlighted the "staggering global challenge" posed by rising obesity.

The increase is happening in every region of the world and in nearly every country, they said.

Hundreds of millions of people are malnourished because they are overweight, as well as having too much sugar, salt or cholesterol in their blood, the report said.

'Totally unacceptable'
Professor Corinna Hawkes, who co-chaired the research, said the study was "redefining what the world thinks of as being malnourished".

"Malnutrition literally means bad nutrition - that's anyone who isn't adequately nourished.

"You have outcomes like you are too thin, you're not growing fast enough… or it could mean that you're overweight or you have high blood sugar, which leads to diabetes," she said.

While many countries are on course to meet targets to reduce stunted growth and the number of underweight children, very few are making progress on tackling obesity and associated illnesses such as heart disease.

In fact, the report says, the number of children under five who are overweight is fast approaching the number who are underweight.

Co-chairman Lawrence Haddad said: "We now live in a world where being malnourished is the new normal.

"It is a world that we must all claim as totally unacceptable."

The report calls for more money and political commitment to address the problem. It says for every $1 (70p) spent on proven nutrition programmes, $16 (£11.25) worth of benefits ensue.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-36518770

--------------------

PM
^
Bill
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 02:38 PM

Gold

Member No.: 85

I don't recall seeing so many obese people as I see now days Scepo, why die early from something we can prevent? A high intake of sugar is linked to many forms of cancer.

Sugar is no good for us - but according to Flin ?..........fermented sugar may be different. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/lbill.gif

There are more obese people, that's for sure Bear. As an exercise, the next time you are in a shopping centre, take a note of the number of obese people there.

After doing that just once, you will tend to notice them more.

Sugar is the cause, but it is contained in all processed foods. We don't just need to drastically reduce our intake of sugar, but the processed foods that contain sugar.

Did you know that a McDonald's hamburger bun - just the bun - contains 7 teaspoons of sugar. That's why they will still appear fresh after weeks sitting on a bench.

--------------------
It's a tough gig being the only duck in the shooting gallery
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Health & Medicine | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll