Posted: Mar 27 2018, 07:36 PM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 142 pts

Tiny homes made from shipping containers could ease Tasmania's housing woes

By Laura Beavis

user posted image

Photo: The shipping container to tiny house conversion team stand outside their work (ABC News: Laura Beavis)

A year-long volunteer project to convert a shipping container into a one-bedroom home has left Gerryd Bogie struggling to describe how the experience has affected him.

"I loved it, the whole thing was just an experience that words can't describe, it was that good," he said.

But the 18-year-old is clear about the challenges of installing a working bathroom.

"The bathroom was an absolute nightmare," he laughed.

user posted image

Photo: Gerryd Bogie said he gained valuable skills in the project. (ABC News: Laura Beavis)

Mr Bogie was one of six young people from St Helens who took part in the project, initiated by the St Helens Neighbourhood House.

The manager of the neighbourhood house, Trish O'Duffy, said it started as a way to help local young people to gain skills and employment, as well as creating affordable accommodation for people in the area.

"We were able to employ one apprentice and the six volunteers who worked on the project we upskilled them with units out of Cert 3 in construction," she explained.

The young volunteers were supervised by Brian Matthews, a qualified carpenter. He witnessed their satisfaction as the work progressed.

user posted image

Photo: The container conversion was a 12-month project. (Supplied: St Helens Community House)

"I take little signs like taking a photo of what they'd just completed or showing up on time week in, week out as my way of gauging whether they're enjoying themselves or not," he said.

At a launch in March, the first converted container attracted curiosity and compliments.

There's a waiting list of prospective buyers and it will be sold at auction in coming weeks.

The homes cost $50,000 to $55,000 to make, but it's expected they could go for more than that.

user posted image

Photo: The tiny house will be auctioned. (ABC News: Laura Beavis)

The neighbourhood house hoped the benefits of the container project could be spread throughout the state, where an estimated 1,600 people are homeless and 8,000 are under housing stress.

Ms O'Duffy said she hoped more converted containers could be supplied to the Tasmanian Government to be used as affordable housing.

"It's quite an affordable home, it's fully kitted out, we would like to tender for any housing strategy strategy that comes up, we feel that we'd be able to branch into that market," she said.

But experts on housing and homelessness warned relocatable housing could not solve all of Tasmania's housing crisis.

Shelter Tasmania executive officer Patty Chugg said the Government would have to carefully assess whether the converted containers would meet people's needs.

"We need to make sure that it's a quality product, it meets regulation standards, it meets community standards, especially if the Government is being asked to sponsor these different models," she said.

"We really need to have those checks and balances put in place."

user posted image

Photo: The converted shipping container contains a double bed at one end. (ABC News: Laura Beavis)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-27/are-container-houses-a-solution-to-tasmanias-homelessness/9593260

It looks a lot more comfortable than some of the accomodation I had while teaching in the country. And for, far better than the "housing" my parents, siblings and I endured as 10 pound immigrants in a migrant hostel.

--------------------
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." - Winston Churchill
PMEmail
^
Bear
 Posted: Mar 28 2018, 03:12 PM

Diamond

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 79

Rep: 8 pts

Many will appreciate this, over living in tents - we look after asylum seekers better than our own citizens, imagine the outcry if asylum seekers were housed in 'tiny homes made from shipping containers'.

user posted image
Royal Agricultural Society CEO Scott Gadd checks on homeless people living in tents at the Royal Hobart Showgrounds, Glenorchy. PICTURE CHRIS KIDD

https://www.realestate.com.au/news/showgrounds-may-be-forced-to-shut-down-tent-accommodation-if-it-doesnt-get-help/

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz,

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
Alicia
 Posted: Mar 28 2018, 03:22 PM

Silver

Member No.: 53

Rep: 10 pts

There were shipping container homes on display at our local ag show a couple of years ago. One had 2 beds, common bathroom/toilet and a common kitchen. Really nicely done out, perfectly liveable, and as Charles has said, better than other accommodation that was around in the past. Christchurch still has containers in the CBD being used for businesses, they appear to do the job and work well. The employment and experience angle is good too, it appears to be a win, win situation. Better a container home than none at all, and better something useful to do than laze around doing very little that is productive. Good thinking http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_IMHO.png http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_2016_09_06_04_32.png https://s20.postimg.cc/x68t0lwf1/1120275_KASPa_Hdl.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/lbill.gif

This post has been edited by Alicia: Mar 28 2018, 03:27 PM
PMEmail
^
charka
 Posted: Mar 28 2018, 05:24 PM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Very storm proof
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Mar 28 2018, 08:45 PM

Silver

Member No.: 53

Rep: 10 pts

Depends where they are Charka, no good in a cyclone I’d say. Horses for courses.

This post has been edited by Alicia: Mar 28 2018, 08:46 PM
PMEmail
^
Flin
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 07:16 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

What a bunch of crap.
It is a lot cheaper and easier to build a tiny house from scratch than convert a shipping container.

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
charka
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 09:10 AM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Did not know would it suit me as is
PMEmail
^
scepo
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 10:45 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

I suspect that Flin is probably right.

Provided they were well secured to the ground, I think they should be fine in a cyclone Alicia. Mind you I am no expert. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | TAS | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll