|Home Page||Members Calendar Gallery Arcade Search|
|Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )||Resend Validation Email|
Posted: Oct 5 2017, 05:18 PM
Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17
Joined: 17-January 12
Rep: 141 pts
Companies named and shamed: And the Shonky Awards go to ...
Thursday, 5 October 2017 10:55AM
The Pain Erazor.
Consumer watchdog Choice has hosted its annual Shonky awards, naming and shaming dubious products and services.
Samsung has racked up its third-straight Shonky Award, called out by Choice alongside Westpac, Coles and five car manufacturers in Australia for their dubious and overpriced goods.
Samsung was named and shamed at the annual awards in Sydney for a washer/dryer that takes six-and-a-half hours for one cycle and uses over 200 litres of water, while Honda, Toyota, Lexus, BMW and Mazda were chastened for failing to warn consumers of their deadly Takata airbags.
“Unfortunately each year the awards go from strength to strength as companies continue to serve up poor value, hidden charges and questionable claims,” Choice chief executive Alan Kirkland said.
Almost two-and-a-half millions cars in Australia were affected by the worldwide recall of Takata airbags after they were found to have resulted in at least 18 deaths and more than 180 injuries internationally.
While the 70 models of cars in Australia affected were sold by 14 manufacturers, only Honda, Toyota, Lexus, BMW and Mazda failed to tell customers of the lethal, combustible inflators, and of the like-for-like replacements in vehicles.
Samsung’s past two lemon trophies were for last year’s exploding smartphone batteries, and another unreliable washing machine in 2015.
It is the company’s fourth appearance at the Shonkys, a record.
Choice said Coles Complete Cuisine cat food was anything but complete in nutritional value.
“Feeding your feline friend Coles Complete Cuisine could cause significant problems like expensive vet bills, sickness, or worse,” host Kate Browne said.
Meanwhile, Nature’s Way Vita Gummies were sold as healthy treats for children despite the sugar-coated gummies essentially being little more than lollies that could cause tooth decay.
AND THE 2017 SHONKY AWARD WINNERS ARE ...
* Samsung for a $2999 washer/dryer that takes six-and-a-half hours and uses over 200L per cycle
* Viagogo for ripping off those looking to buy and sell tickets
* Honda, Toyota, Lexus, BMW and Mazda for failing to disclose their Takata airbags have resulted in 18 deaths worldwide and more than 180 injuries
* Vita Gummies for their sugar-coated, tooth-decaying treats
* Westpac for their Bump Savings account with poor interest and a 16-year wait to cash in a dodgy bonus
* Coles for Complete Cuisine cat food which was lacking in nutritional value and could make felines sick
* Pain Erazor pen which is unlikely to erase any pain and more likely to act as a lighter for a stove top
* Cuddly Sensitive Hypoallergenic fabric softener for failing to outperform water while costing 3000 times more
I'm all for naming and shaming dodgy products and services. Well done Choice!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." — Dr. Seuss
"The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday." — Anonymous
Posted: Oct 5 2017, 07:03 PM
Group: Active Member
Member No.: 53
Joined: 13-March 12
Rep: 7 pts
I am wondering where all the chinese made goods are in the awards, lord knows there are plenty of them.