Flin
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 10:07 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Australian runners who waited for last competitor are 'all class'
user posted image

Three Australian runners have shown the world what sportsmanship is all about during their 10,000m event at the Commonwealth Games on Monday night.

Despite the rest of the athletes leaving the field as soon as they finished the race, Australians Celia Sullohern, Madeline Hills and Eloise Wellings stayed behind to cheer Chaka over the line.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/athletics/australian-runners-who-waited-for-last-competitor-are-all-class-20180410-p4z8nh.html

That ole Charka sure does get around, eh?

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Alicia
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 10:56 AM

Silver

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 53

Rep: 10 pts

He must be our gender change candidate then if that’s him, hmmmmm? http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/laugh.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/laugh.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/Smiley_winknod.gif
PMEmail
^
Jonno
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 11:01 AM

Platinum

Member No.: 86

Rep: 23 pts

There are a few competitors with respect for others, but generally good manners, respect for others, and all other decencies in sport and in life are quickly disappearing from Western society.
In true sport there are no losers, there are competitors from which one/or a team will win and there should be more respect for those who don't win.
My grandfather, a local cricket team player took me to a Test Match in England between Australia and England and I was advised that it was good manners to support the Australian team as they were visitors and strangers in the country, no booing or degrading remarks toward them.
At school all the rules in sport were respectful of the competitors, irrespective of who wins, all competitors will remain on the track, or the field and leave together, it is disrespectful and non-sporting bad manners to do otherwise.
Fortunately some of us still live by those sporting rules but not Con Games and media people, rah, rah, rah-de-rah for those with a gold medal, so what .... where's the respect, importance and accolades for all those individuals who competed.

--------------------
When you can't make then see the light make them feel the heat.
Henry Ford

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
Albert Einstein
PMEmailMSN
^
Bill
 Posted: Apr 11 2018, 12:57 AM

Gold

Member No.: 85

Rep: 8 pts

QUOTE (Jonno @ Apr 10 2018, 11:01 AM)
My grandfather, a local cricket team player took me to a Test Match in England between Australia and England and I was advised that it was good manners to support the Australian team as they were visitors and strangers in the country, no booing or degrading remarks toward them.

That's still the case Jonno. The 'Balmy Army' are still polite and respectful towards visiting teams and when they are visiting other countries as well.

The Aussies - not so much. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/mad.gif The yobbos and drunks seem to have made it their business to get involved in the sledging....and the Australian Cricket Team can take some responsibility for that.

--------------------
It's a tough gig being the only duck in the shooting gallery
PM
^
Charles
 Posted: Apr 11 2018, 10:32 AM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 142 pts

QUOTE (Jonno @ Apr 10 2018, 11:01 AM)
Fortunately some of us still live by those sporting rules but not Con Games and media people, rah, rah, rah-de-rah for those with a gold medal, so what .... where's the respect, importance and accolades for all those individuals who competed.

I couldn't agree more Jonno. The media have a lot to answer for in the way they have obsessed over winning and medal tallies.

The three young ladies in the lead story of this piece exemplify true sportsmanship and those in attendance applaud the efforts of competitors who struggle. Sadly the media offers little or no attention to this aspect of the Games. I wonder if they would have given the same media attention had it been girls from another country who waited to see the final competitor finish.

Events such as the Olympics and the Commonwealth Games should be a celebration of people participating rfrom nations of all sizes but, from the outset, the advertising promotion for these games was all about Australia v England and who is going to win the most gold.

Having disabled athletes competing on the same stage is an admirable concept but one event highlighted the media's obsession with winning. At the start of a particular swimming event most of the athletes mounted the starting block unaided but two (in the outside lanes which "slower" swimmers are allocated) had to be lifted from wheelchairs onto the blocks and held until the start. The winner was able to exit the pool unaided, walk to the parochial interviewer and soak up the glory of her win. On the other hand, the aforementioned swimmers in the outside lanes had to be lifted from the pool and into their wheelchairs. At least the crowd cheered them home as they finished half a lap behind the winner, but what about the media? They raved on about medals and PBs and completely ignored the courage of these brave competitors.

Medal tallies and a count of medals won by individuals needs putting into perspective. It's great that a swimmer can compete for and win 5, 6 or even more medals but athletes are restricted to 1 or 2 events and possibly a relay. How can a medal tally compare a Michael Phelps with a Usain Bolt? The former won 23 Olympic gold medals and 28 medals overall. Bolt finished his career with 8 Olympic gold. Both champions in their own right but their medal tallies are quite different.

I doubt we will ever see a return to Games being a celebration of participation, courage and sportsmanship. The media's obsession with national pride and beating others has robbed us of that. Gone are the days of John Landy stopping to help a fallen competitor. Winning has become the sole objective.

http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/soapbox_888.gif

PS A rep up to Jonno for starting me on my rant! https://s20.postimg.org/x68t0lwf1/1120275_KASPa_Hdl.gif

--------------------
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on." - Winston Churchill
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Apr 11 2018, 06:08 PM

Silver

Member No.: 53

Rep: 10 pts

An exceptionable rant it is too, Charles, am I able to hand out a rep up to you too? I consider it a win for anyone who gets to represent their country in some form or other.
PMEmail
^
Jonno
 Posted: Apr 11 2018, 07:14 PM

Platinum

Member No.: 86

Rep: 23 pts

Thanks Charles, I was merely repeating the standard to which we all were expected to conform to in the past by responsible, respectable parents, teachers, leaders of Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, Life Boys, Sea Cadets and all the other clubs and organisations which created literate, respectful, responsible, well-mannered, considerate, honest and honourable boys and girls to lead them, armed with the ability to become quality adults by reflecting on, and putting into practice the sensible, correct behaviour which made them a sensible, honourable adult, capable of being an equal member of life in the adult world.

My thanks are to those people in the past who are no longer a part of this world and made me what I am, and allow me to be disgusted, disheartened and ashamed at the degredation of the total of life's qualities to which we were proud to live by which is now accepted as 'normal'.

Far from it, primitive people in villages of old, before that in individual tribes lived by a standard which was far superior a society than that which we are forced to tolerate in life today....... excuse me for saying that the upbringing of people of my ilk never believed that we would have to survive in latter years in what can only be described as a pack of sub-humans rushing to kill and destroy for the scraps of meat left on life's bone.

--------------------
When you can't make then see the light make them feel the heat.
Henry Ford

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
Albert Einstein
PMEmailMSN
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Other Sports | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll