Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Innocent Barber, Not Qualified For Female Haircuts
Jonno
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 01:34 PM

Platinum

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 86

Rep: 23 pts

user posted image

A Sydney barber says he’s devastated after being taken to the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission for not cutting a young girl’s hair.
Sam Rahim runs a barber shop in Hunters Hill Village on Sydney’s North Shore, where he exclusively cuts men’s hair.
Just before Christmas, a woman, a lawyer, walked into his shop asking him to cut her daughter’s hair.

“I refused politely,” he said.
“I explained I’m not qualified to cut women's or girls’ hair. I’ve never done it.
“But she kept pressing me, saying I should just do it. I told her there are three women’s hair salons within a minute’s walk but she became angry and stormed out.”

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/04/09/12/14/hunters-hill-sydney-barber-facing-hreoc-haircut-dispute

More proof that lawyers are asses, since when was a service provider not allowed to determine to whom he supplies his services.

--------------------
When you can't make then see the light make them feel the heat.
Henry Ford

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
Albert Einstein
PMEmailMSN
^
Alicia
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 03:24 PM

Silver

Member No.: 53

Rep: 11 pts

Imagine the court case after she found out he. Wasn’t q ualified to cut f emale’ s ha i. Sorry about typing, bumpy road.
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 03:29 PM

Silver

QUOTE (Alicia @ Apr 10 2018, 03:24 PM)
Imagine the court case after she found out he. Wasn’t q ualified to cut f emale’ s ha i. Sorry about typing, bumpy road.
It has probably been a while sinc e a provider was allowed to r3fus e his s ervices.

Blasted bumpy road, that was suppos ed to be an edit. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif
Now it edits. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif
PMEmail
^
lee
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 05:52 PM

Rana Capillum

Member No.: 48

Rep: 17 pts

A number 1 would soon fix it.

--------------------
Life is neither a race to the end, nor a slow ramble whose sole aim is longevity

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
PM
^
Jonno
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 06:08 PM

Platinum

Member No.: 86

Rep: 23 pts

I can imagine the bumpy road Alicia, Mrs Jonno, Vicki refuses to reply to messages when we are out in the car.....she refuses to hold her knee against the steering wheel.

Your comment reminds me of a joke from 'leprechaun land'.
A young man left home for the 'big smoke' to get a job and his mother replied to his first letter,

"Dear son,
Since you left home your father has become fatuous with his attention to me and wants to 'have me' in different places around the house, so please excuse the wobbly writing, his infatuation has extended to the supermarket.
We were shopping in the supermarket yesterday, I was bending over the freezer section to get some frozen peas, the manager came up to us and now we are banished from that store.

More sad news is Uncle Willie died when he fell into a vat of whisky at his work last week, he had a happy grin on his face as he slipped into the furnace but the fire brigade had to be called to put out the crematorium fire.

We send our love, I was going to put ten pounds inside the letter but I had already sealed the envelope.

With affection,

Your Ma and Daa.
....... the dots mean kisses to save us the ink in the free pens your Daa gets from his job as office nightwatchman."

--------------------
When you can't make then see the light make them feel the heat.
Henry Ford

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits
Albert Einstein
PMEmailMSN
^
Phillip J.
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 06:15 PM

Kryptonite

Member No.: 16

Rep: 33 pts

Stupid woman! The story is suggesting that he explained (politely!) that he wasn't qualified, but apparently that didn't matter to the mother. Actually, hair is hair, so I personally don't see that it matters if it's female or male, but the only important thing here is that the guy explained it to her, and that should've been the end of the story. Human Rights & Equal Opportunity? It's all getting out of hand! Dumb-arse lawyer, leaning on this guy, putting unnecessary pressure on him. Why was she so obsessed with him doing it? http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
Live as if the world were as it should be, to show how it could be.
If what we do doesn't matter, then the only thing that matters is what we do.
PMEmail
^
lee
 Posted: Apr 10 2018, 07:06 PM

Rana Capillum

Member No.: 48

Rep: 17 pts

Why was she so obsessed with him doing it? http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

A sense of entitlement. Lawyers KNOW the rules. etc.

--------------------
Life is neither a race to the end, nor a slow ramble whose sole aim is longevity

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
PM
^
Flin
 Posted: Apr 11 2018, 07:29 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Much of nothing about a do. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
scepo
 Posted: Apr 11 2018, 05:41 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 66 pts

Mr Rahim says the woman then took her complaint to the HREOC – claiming he breached anti-discrimination laws and embarrassed her daughter.

“She might have been more embarrassed walking to school if I’d butchered her hair,” Mr Rahim said.

“The skills are different. Look up barber and it says 'a place where men get their hair cut'.”

Mr Rahim has had to hire a lawyer and with a wife and baby to support, he's now concerned what impact the case will have on his livelihood.

The Australian Hairdressing Council’s Sandy Chong said there are different techniques used when cutting men’s and women’s hair.

“Barbering didn’t have a qualification for 31 years and was only reintroduced two years ago,” she said.

“It’s now reached a stage where many female hairdressers are doing the qualification because they see a growing market.”

“Someone like Mr Rahim - (after) cutting only men’s hair for so many years - probably has more skills than many of the teachers of the course. I understand why he wouldn’t be comfortable cutting women’s hair.”

The court case is due in the next couple of weeks.

“I haven’t been able to sleep. My wife hasn’t been able to sleep. I don’t understand why someone would do something like this,” Mr Rahim said.

The complainant, who 9News.com.au is not naming to avoid identifying her daughter, supplied the following statement.

"A claim has been brought against Hunters Hill Barber Shop in the Federal Circuit Court for an alleged breach of the Sex Discrimination Act. The basis of the claim is that the barber shop refused to simply run the clippers through my daughter's undercut, because she was a girl.

"I indicated to him that I did not need him to style, cut or trim the rest of her hair, which is styled in a 'bob'.

"Mr Rahim's explanation was that he wished to keep his barber shop for boys and men only. He never said he was not qualified to cut women or girls' hair, as he has incorrectly reported to the media.

"The matter remains before the Court and it is inappropriate for me to provide any further comment at this point in time."

That is the rest of the article.

Someone is telling porkies. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

I wonder if there were any witnesses in his shop at the time. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/unsure.gif

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Alicia
 Posted: Apr 11 2018, 06:03 PM

Silver

She’s a real charmer, I know the type. I have rights and I know my law , and I am demonstrating to my daughter how to take things to the extreme and WIN. Toxic type, be they male or female, would cut off nose to spite face and be “right”, in my opinion of course. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Social Issues | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll