Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

PM to Offer Apology to Abuse Survivirs
Charles
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 03:03 PM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 142 pts

Child abuse survivors to be offered apology from Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull

Karen Sweeney | AAP
Thursday, 8 February 2018 8:40AM

user posted image

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull will make a national apology to victims of institutional child sexual abuse by the end of the year.

"As a nation, we must mark this occasion in a form that reflects the wishes of survivors and that affords them the dignity to which they were entitled as children, but which was denied to them by the very people who were tasked with their care," Mr Turnbull told parliament on Thursday.

Providing an update on the government's response to the royal commission report released in mid-December, Mr Turnbull said a survivor-focused reference group will be appointed to advise on the form and content of the apology.

"Reading some of the witness statements, it is clear that being heard and being believed means so much to the survivors," Mr Turnbull said.

"Three words - 'I believe you' - coming after years, decades, of authorities' denial of responsibility."

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten suggested the government host an event at Parliament House to thank and recognise survivors.

The government will roll out a redress scheme for survivors from July 1. One was recommended by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

Mr Turnbull urged the states, territories and non-government organisations not to delay signing up to the scheme, saying only maximum participation would allow it to be successful.

He will discuss the scheme with state and territory leaders at the Council of Australian Governments Meeting in Canberra on Friday.

The chair of the parliamentary committee overseeing the national response to the inquiry, Senator Derryn Hinch, said he was holding his fire on any criticism of the states and churches.

"If the states and the institutions haven't signed up in the next three weeks I will unload like you've never heard before," Senator Hinch said, adding extra pressure was needed on NSW and Victoria.

The government has already provided $52.1 million for administration and initial counselling costs.

"I'm looking at NSW and Victoria, especially," Senator Hinch said in Canberra on Thursday.

Liberal senator Linda Reynolds is confident of bipartisan support for the scheme.

"There is nothing more important for any of this parliament, and state parliaments in particular, than to ensure our children are safe," she said.

As part of its other responses to the royal commission's recommendations, the federal government has already changed statutory limitations periods where the commonwealth is a defendant.

It has also developed a nationally-agreed set of principles to make organisations safer for children and begun work on a national database to share "working with children" data.

https://thewest.com.au/politics/federal-politics/child-abuse-survivors-to-be-offered-apology-from-prime-minister-malcolm-turnbull-ng-b88738275z

The words. "I believe you." are far more powerful than an apology. Especially when the apology comes from someone who isn't directly responsible for the victims' suffering.

--------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be." - Socrates
PMEmail
^
Michael.W
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 03:25 PM

Gold

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 58

Rep: 47 pts

Why would Turnbull give an apology unless the RC failed to do it job. Other than that if there is any further judgements to hand out take it up with the courts.
PM
^
charka
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 03:31 PM

Supremo Poster

Member No.: 11

Rep: 48 pts

Was he part of it ? Wait a pollies apologies wow Get barnaby to do it Spruiking on about family values he denied it all lied to the voters

This post has been edited by charka: Feb 9 2018, 02:00 AM
PMEmail
^
Alicia
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 05:33 PM

Ruby

Member No.: 53

Rep: 7 pts

These days public apologies just roll lightly off the tongue, a lot of them mean nothing. A lot of public apologies are forced, so once again don’t mean it’s genuine. Some “celebrity” types are made to apologise for something which is none of the public’s business (Tiger Woods et al). http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif
PMEmail
^
charka
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 07:57 PM

Supremo Poster

do not apologize for me i was not part of it Were you? don,t you dare liar

This post has been edited by charka: Feb 8 2018, 08:00 PM
PMEmail
^
Flin
 Posted: Feb 9 2018, 10:28 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Just more touchie-feely idiocy. Sooooweee.

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Bill
 Posted: Feb 9 2018, 01:27 PM

Gold

Member No.: 85

Rep: 8 pts

QUOTE (Flin @ Feb 9 2018, 10:28 AM)
Just more touchie-feely idiocy.  Sooooweee.

Sadly, I think you are right Flin.

As a lady representing victims said yesterday, an apology is nice but it will mean nothing if the mechanism to provide redress for the victims is not a priority.....and frankly I just don't see that happening.....those responsible for the abuse will never have to pay a cent in compensation.

Time to remove their charity status and make them pay tax.

It would be nice if Turnbull gave some credit to Former Prime Minister Julia Gillard for setting up the Royaly Commission, but he won't do that.

It's all about Malcolm looking good and 'statesmanlike'. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/Smiley_winknod.gif

--------------------
It's a tough gig being the only duck in the shooting gallery
PM
^
scepo
 Posted: Feb 9 2018, 06:22 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

And why did Gillard set it up Bill?

I'll give you a hint.

Abbott is a Catholic. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Bill
 Posted: Feb 10 2018, 04:44 PM

Gold

Member No.: 85

Rep: 8 pts

QUOTE (scepo @ Feb 9 2018, 06:22 PM)
And why did Gillard set it up Bill?

I'll give you a hint.

Abbott is a Catholic.  http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

Whaaaat ! Are you saying that Abbott would NOT have set up a Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse ??

You're probably correct scepo - that would be why he cut $40 Million from their budget. I wonder why he did that ?

I'll give you a hint - Abbott is a Catholic. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/biggrin.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/lbill.gif

--------------------
It's a tough gig being the only duck in the shooting gallery
PM
^
charka
 Posted: Feb 10 2018, 05:20 PM

Supremo Poster

Bill why was abbott not hanged for sedition ,he is not much better than the rest
PMEmail
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll