Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Add Reply
New Poll

Aged care residents are fed worse than prisoners.
Bear
 Posted: Feb 12 2018, 05:52 PM

Diamond

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 79

Rep: 7 pts

Study reveals aged care residents are fed worse than prisoners.

user posted image

A study reveals some aged care facilities spend $6.08 a day on food for their elderly residents.

That’s about $2 a meal for some of our most vulnerable Australians.

$8.35 is spent on food for prisoners in jail.

After revealing the shocking findings, Chris Smith received a flood of calls.

John, who is a garbageman, says he sees what residents are fed every day.

“My relatives used to run a pig farm…I wouldn’t give it to them.

“I see what they would’ve had for lunch today. No wonder they’re sick.”

Joan works in the prison system and shares her perspective.

“I can tell you…inmates get better care than you and I would in an aged care facility on the outside.”

https://www.4bc.com.au/study-reveals-aged-care-residents-are-fed-worse-than-prisoners/

Considering how much it costs families to house their loved ones in an aged care facility this study indicates that the elderly are worse off than criminals in a prison. To be treated like this after paying taxes most of their lives is disgraceful!

$6.08 appears to be the 'average' cost - so some places will be above this while others will be below the average.

That’s about $2 a meal for some of our most vulnerable Australians.

Our dog lives better than many of our elderly, does the $2 per meal cover the cost to prepare, a cheap salad - or is it only one $6.08 meal a day?

What has happened to this once lucky country????
http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

This post has been edited by Bear: Feb 12 2018, 05:53 PM

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz,

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
Michael.W
 Posted: Feb 12 2018, 08:02 PM

Gold

Member No.: 58

Rep: 47 pts

Bloody Disgraceful !!!!

http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/mad.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/mad.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/mad.gif http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/mad.gif
PM
^
Alicia
 Posted: Feb 12 2018, 08:22 PM

Ruby

Member No.: 53

I think we need to remember that this is not necessarily happening in all nursing homes. Yes, it is a disgrace. The local nursing home here certainly doesn’t serve meals like those pictured in other media.
PMEmail
^
Bear
 Posted: Feb 12 2018, 09:36 PM

Diamond

I would hope that not every aged care facility treats its residents worse than criminals.

As I said in my first post - $6.08 appears to be the 'average' cost.

We would expect that some homes are above this appalling figure, any found below the average cost should be shut down immediately!
http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/mad.gif

--------------------
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason.

We live in a world in which politics has replaced philosophy. ~Martin L. Gross, A Call for Revolution, 1993

"Stupid people are like glow sticks: I wanna snap em and shake the shit outta them till the light comes on."
PM
^
Charles
 Posted: Feb 13 2018, 08:37 AM

Rana Capillum

Group: Featured Blogers
Member No.: 17

Rep: 142 pts

Sadly, Governments are unlikely to pay little more than lip-service here. They see no long term benefit (votes-wise) in the elderly.

--------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be." - Socrates
PMEmail
^
Bear
 Posted: Feb 13 2018, 08:37 PM

Diamond

It is a sad state of affairs Charles - politicians don't give a toss about any of us, especially the old worn out taxpayers - their votes still count while they can vote, no matter who they vote for the menu will remain the same. With a growing elderly population, this is set to get a lot worse.

Pigs live better lives, only because they fed polticans.

GUINEA pigs have better meals than these Aussies, says a leading medical chief, after shocking new data shows they are being fed on just $6 a day.

user posted image
AMA President Dr Michael Gannon says his pets are fed better than pensioners. Source: News Corp Australia/ Ray Strange.Source:News Corp Australia

AUSTRALIAN pensioners are fed on just $6 a day, according to shocking new statistics which the AMA president has called a “national disgrace”.

The “wholly inadequate’’ sum of money is less than Australian prisoners get for their meals and medical chief Michael Gannon says more money is spent on his guinea pigs’ food.

“My children’s guinea pigs get fresh ingredients and more money spent on them,’’ AMA President, Mr Gannon told the Courier-Mail. “It’s a national disgrace the way we treat our aged.”

The study, written by Bond University dietitian Cherie Hugo and accountants Stewart Brown, shows that, despite aged care homes reaping in $1 billion in profits last year, they spent $6.08 per resident, on average, to provide three meals a day.

It also shows that prisons spend an average of $8.25 per prisoner per day on food.

The research study, which was based on the financial reports from 817 aged care providers for 64,256 residents, states that half of these residents suffer from malnutrition.

It found that nursing homes cut spending on food by 30 cents per resident last year.

The report’s authors wrote the decrease means that spending of food appears to be “significantly lower than food budgets in the Australian community, correctional services and internationally”.

“Increasing the aged care profit margin by reducing food spend impacts the quality of resident care and can contribute to malnutrition rates in aged care,’’ it states.

“Malnutrition is associated with a cascade of adverse outcomes, including increased risk of falls, pressure injuries and hospital admissions, leading to poorer resident quality of life and increased healthcare costs.”

It also shows that budgets for food in aged care facilities have increased over the same period in other countries such as England, the US and Canada.

The report also indicates that a reliance on supplements over fresh food is having an adverse effect on the health of those in aged care homes.

“The increase in supplements and food replacements in the present paper likely indicates that aged care providers perhaps choose supplements over fresh food and ingredients in response to unintentional resident weight loss,” it reads.

“Given the ongoing high rates of malnutrition in Australian Residential Aged Care Facilities and potentially improved awareness of the issue despite an increased supplement spend, we are clearly not solving the expensive problem of malnutrition with current approaches.”

Australian Bureau of Statistics findings show that, in the general community, adults younger than 35 years spend approximately $18.29 per person on food and drinks daily.

Young couples (average age 28 years) were splashing the most cash on food, spending $23.60 per person per day.

Older couples were found to be tighter, spending $17.25 per person on food and drinks daily.

The statistics come as a new PwC study, commissioned and supported by Australian Unity, shows there is a looming health and aged-care resourcing crisis waiting for us in just seven years time if there is no dramatic funding shake-up.

It found that by 2025 an additional $24 billion in capital costs and an additional $13b in annual operating costs will be needed to meet projected gaps in resi­dential aged care, in-home and community care and hospital beds.

It is estimated that we will need 180,000 more carers to cater for our ageing population and 85,000 more nurses across the health and aged-care sectors in the next seven years.

James van Smeerdijk, a partner at PwC, wrote an editorial for the The Australian on the findings and said it was time for the federal government to take action.

“Even if we could afford it, it is unlikely that the existing health and ageing sectors could simply be scaled up to meet increasing ­demand in time — and more incremental policy nips and tucks simply aren’t going to cut it,” he wrote.

“Without fundamental change, and soon, the health and ageing systems will become unaffordable and unfit for purpose.”

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/diet/prisoners-fed-better-than-aussies-in-aged-care-homes/news-story/3db2079d8dfb58f7a9f2e4bf208b215f

--------------------

PM
^
Bill
 Posted: Feb 14 2018, 02:12 PM

Gold

Member No.: 85

Rep: 8 pts

When governments farm out their responsibilities to 'private enterprise' is it any wonder that they will do only what is regulated to satisfy their funding and cut corners in their provision of service at the expense of their residents.

What should come as a surprise is that politicians are surprised and disgusted. The Aged Care iIndustry is operating as it was intended to operate......as a taxpayer subsidized business opportunity to provide nothing more than shareholder profits.....and spare me the ideological rubbish that private enterprise can do it better. They can do it cheaper - that's all.

--------------------
It's a tough gig being the only duck in the shooting gallery
PM
^
scepo
 Posted: Feb 14 2018, 05:17 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 65 pts

I don't think the government run public health system here is anything to crow about. In fact I think it is pretty bloody ordinary. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

Perhaps it is different in Toowoomba.

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Michael.W
 Posted: Feb 14 2018, 08:40 PM

Gold

Member No.: 58

Rep: 47 pts

QUOTE (Bill @ Feb 14 2018, 02:12 PM)
When governments farm out their responsibilities to 'private enterprise' is it any wonder that they will do only what is regulated to satisfy their funding and cut corners in their provision of service at the expense of their residents.

What should come as a surprise is that politicians are surprised and disgusted. The Aged Care iIndustry is operating as it was intended to operate......as a taxpayer subsidized business opportunity to provide nothing more than shareholder profits.....and spare me the ideological rubbish that private enterprise can do it better. They can do it cheaper - that's all.

Unless your the utilities provider then its about profits at every other person expense. Funny how the Governments failed to see that happen
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll