Flin
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 08:15 AM

Supremo Poster

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Rep: 47 pts

Volkswagen Vows to End Experiments on Animals
user posted image

The German automaker Volkswagen is promising that it will no longer support the use of animals in testing the effects of diesel exhaust, as the company tries to move past an emissions-cheating scandal in which it was found to have helped finance experiments on monkeys.

The pledge was made in a letter to the German branch of the animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. It is part of a push by Volkswagen, Europe’s biggest car manufacturer, to cope with the toll of a scheme that has resulted in tens of billions of dollars in settlements and fines, the dismissal of successive chief executives and the arrest and imprisonment of top company officials.

The cheating, which involved Volkswagen’s illegally rigging the software on millions of vehicles to make it seem as if they complied with pollution standards, has also caused a major shift in the public’s perception of diesel. The fuel had been promoted as an environmentally friendly alternative to gasoline, but governments in Europe and elsewhere are increasingly restricting its use.

Volkswagen’s reputation was further tarnished by the revelation that it and other German automakers had financed research on the health effects of diesel exhaust that involved spewing it at 10 macaque monkeys in airtight chambers. The disclosure touched off an uproar, piling pressure on Volkswagen and the other companies.

Volkswagen said in its letter to PETA, which was released on Monday, that it would abandon the practice.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/04/business/volkswagen-animal-testing-peta-monkeys.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fworld&action=click&contentCollection=world®ion=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

Sounds like Germany's WW2 ethics are still in existence.

--------------------
Living In An Elected Dictatorship
Flin's opinions and comments reflect his perception of the facts and not necessarily reality
PMEmailWebsite
^
Bill
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 11:37 AM

Gold

Group: Active Member
Member No.: 85

Rep: 8 pts

Just a suggestion but maybe it's time to replace the animals with the children of VW executives. That would focus their minds on the need for clean air.

--------------------
It's a tough gig being the only duck in the shooting gallery
PM
^
Alicia
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 12:04 PM

Silver

Member No.: 53

Rep: 10 pts

True Bill, but I would use the executives instead of their children. It could just be pumped into the exec’s offices, simple!
PMEmail
^
scepo
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 04:17 PM

Supremo Poster

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 3

Rep: 66 pts

Sounds Germanaphobic or VWaphobic to me. http://fairdinkumnewschat.com/rolleyes.gif

Instead of experimenting with the monkeys, perhaps they should have used PETA members instead. http://fairdinkumnewschat.b1.jcink.com/uploads/fairdinkumnewschat/smiley_don_t_know.gif

--------------------
Everybody is Willing:
Some are willing to work, the rest are willing to let them!

The older I get, the better I was.
PM
^
Michael.W
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 08:37 PM

Gold

Member No.: 58

Rep: 47 pts

I think there will be many others to follow suit on this, Funny how the EU emissions are more stringent than the USA. I think US vehicle manufacturers will wish this never happened. It's a big can of worms opens here.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Europe | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll